Moving requires plenty of forward planning and organisation, and having conducted over 20,000 moves, we know a thing or two about it. Use this checklist for moving house to help guide you step-by-step through your move, to make sure you have the best move possible.
Table of content:
As obvious as it may sound: The following three points are the basis for a successful move:
- Check your lease before signing!
- Formally terminate your lease. Make sure to meet all deadlines. This should usually be done as soon as the new lease has been signed.
- Decide on a moving date.
Three to six months before
- Create an inventory of the items you plan to sell, put into storage, or move.
- Start a folder and be sure to file all paperwork for your move such as receipts, phone numbers, letters, etc.
- Arrange transportation for your family pet.
Two months before
- Contact your moving company (hopefully it is Movinga!) and agree on a moving date and moving plan.
- Order any packing materials you may need.
- Advise schools that you are moving and obtain records. Notify of new school addresses so that education records can be passed on quickly.
- De-register at your doctors. If you are undergoing hospital treatment, notify a new doctor as soon as possible.
- Cancel memberships such as gym, library, etc.
One Month before
- Confirm childcare/pet arrangements for the day of the move.
- Make sure you have booked your own travel arrangements.
- Clear out unwanted belongings.
- Start using up food from the freezer.
- Research telephone, internet, TV and utilities providers in your new location. If possible, organise connections in your new home.
Two weeks before
Contact service providers to arrange final accounts and meter readings (where applicable):
- Telecoms/digital/cable TV provider
- Electricity supplier
- Gas/Oil supplier
- Water Rates
- Credit card/store card or credit card protection companies
- TV Licence (Rundfunkbeitrag)
- Notify all hire purchase/lease/standing orders or loans companies.
Notify that you are moving:
- Doctors, dentists, opticians, etc.
- Amend insurance cover on buildings, household contents, motor, life, etc.
- Arbeitsamt/Finanzamt (also for child benefits, where applicable)
- The Post Office (for redirection of mail to family or friends)
- Send out change of address cards to friends, relatives, clubs and organisations.
Two days before
- Defrost the fridge and freezer.
- Cancel any regular deliveries (magazines, newspapers).
One day before
- Take down curtains and blinds.
- Put together a pile of ‘do not remove’ essentials: passports, tickets, itineraries, coats, handbags, snacks, cleaning materials, etc.
- Pack small valuables separately and leave them with essentials pile e.g. jewellery, watches, money, bonds, coins, stamps, etc.
- Ensure that all of your fragile items are properly packed.
The day you move out
- Confirm service meter readings, keep a spare copy of readings, and switch off power and water supplies (if necessary).
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Drop keys off at the estate agent.
- Exchange contact numbers and agree on a meeting time with the removal team.
You are looking for a moving quote? Calculate the cost of your move online in just 5 easy steps!